As a therapist at Aim2walk I work closely with many individuals dealing with life changing circumstances and physical challenges from previous accident, stroke or debilitating diseases. Many of these people are flying fast on a roller coaster through life and learning how to deal with the physical and emotional struggles of the ups and downs.
One of the hardest challenges for my clients is keeping motivated and learning how to deal with their limitations. I can only imagine the struggle to continue battling every day life let alone having to keep motivated in therapy; however, their motivation is very inspirational which leads to the question, how do you keep motivated? What keeps you motivated to keep fighting for your goals? When life throws us a curve ball how do we push ourselves to continue in order not to get knocked out?
What can you do to stay motivated?
- Activation: Initiating behavior and training your brain to stay active in the fight to continue to be motivated. It all starts with the initial decision to fight for what you want and what you believe in. No one but yourself can choose to activate your motivation so choose to be active, work hard and fight strong!
- Share the experience: Two hearts and two minds are always better then one. Challenges can be scary and lonely at times so find a friend, a therapist or a loved one who can be by your side and provide the support you need to continue.
- Fuel your inspiration: Read books, watch documentaries and surround yourself with inspiring people. Inspiration and positivity is contagious. Being engulfed with people who are inspiring will help fuel your inspiration. I’m a strong believer that people come into our lives for a reason when we need them, but this also means people who are not good for us or toxic to us need to be removed from our lives. Remember, inspiration is contagious so surround yourself with those who inspire you!
- Persistence: Pushing yourself to continue can be a challenge, but the more you push yourself, the quicker you will meet your goals. Anyone can say they want to do something but you really need to put your mind to it and work your hardest to achieve your goals.
- Take a Breath: Crappy days happen to everyone. Remember to take some time for yourself to recharge and breathe. When you’re feeling under the weather, take a moment to remember why you’re working so hard to achieve your goals.
This is your journey in life, it may not be the original plan and it may not be easy or perfect but it is still your journey. Stay motivated, work hard at your goals, push yourself to be great and you will make the impossible, possible.