“So be sure when you step, Step with care and great tact. And remember that life’s A Great Balancing Act. And will you succeed? Yes! You will, indeed! (98 and ¾ percent guaranteed) Kid, you’ll move mountains.” – Dr. Seuss (Oh, the Places You’ll Go!)
No doubt, this has been the best advice I’ve ever received from a doctor. Every time I read this book to my kids, it reminds me that we can control so much of our lives, and having a positive outlook only enhances our outcomes.
This is going to be a great year!
I’m sure you’ve heard that, or thought that, or even said that before. And it’s possible that whatever year you heard/thought/said that about may not have turned out to be great. But it’s a new year and we’re all entitled to an optimistic outlook, right?
At Aim2Walk, optimism is booming – and that’s a great thing for recovery. The effects of having a positive outlook on recovery are well documented, and a good therapist can help optimism thrive while helping a client maintain realistic expectations. This study on functional stroke recovery, from the journal of Biobehavioural Medicine, was one of hundreds found from a simple literature search on the beneficial effects of positive emotion during recovery.
I wanted to start the year off with a good, ol’ fashioned list. Here are my 13 reasons to be optimistic for 2013:
1) If you’re reading this, you’re alive – and that’s alway good.
2) A new year means a new chance to set goals, then reach and surpass those goals.
5) Rehab technology continues to advance and help improve therapy outcomes throughout the world. 2013 has already brought new technologies to Aim2Walk – look out for write-ups in the near future about the Magnesphere, Pablo, and Tymo!
6) Neuroplasticity – it still exists, and it is the reason there should always be optimism for recovery.
7) Expansion is coming! Aim2Walk will be expanding in May, 2013. We will be able to provide more services in what will be a stellar environment. We will continually update our readers of expansion progress, and the fact that Neurochangers will play a major role in this expansion 🙂
8) Blog improvements – this space will be updated MUCH MORE frequently. You can expect multiple posts per week, just because we love you.
9) The Toronto Blue Jays have a chance to be great this season! (I never said this was everyone’s top 13)
10) Because it’s good to be optimistic! I will continue to drill home this point. But I will let this TED talk do it more eloquently.
11) In case you’re not sure if you have enough optimism, you can track it with the Optimism App for your smart phone! It was developed for bipolar disorder, depression, and other mental health conditions, but we can all benefit from tracking our mood.
12) Because optimism is the faith that leads to achievement. Nothing can be done without hope and confidence. – Helen Keller
And finally, the 13th reason to be optimistic in 2013…
13) 2013 will be a year of realizing potential, of great succes, and of moving mountains!
Today is your day.
You’re off to Great Places!
You’re off and away!”
– Dr. Seuss (Oh, the Places You’ll Go!)
Have a great 2013!